Monday, May 18, 2009

Seriously Sound Doctrines for Kids... yes please!

For over a year now I've been involved in the children's ministry at our church. I remember the first time I subbed for a regular teacher in the 3rd grade class. They were discussing the Old Testament (going through each book), and the 3rd graders were explaining the differences between Old Testament Kings, when they lived, what kind of rulers they were, and if they lived lives that did or did not glorify the Lord. I'm talking seriously long, difficult to pronounce, names (note that's plural). I was amazed at what these kids knew about the Bible, at their eagerness to learn more, and at their understanding of their need for Christ.

Now, it is critical that parents are taking the time to raise their children in the nurture and admonition of the Word- and I am confident these 3rd graders' parents are doing just that. In an effort to help parents continue to equip their children, Connie Dever has created Praise Factory, http://praisefactory.org/, which is available for free at this website.

The classroom material can also be accompanied by songs communicating the truth about the Bible. Now, if you're having flashbacks to singing along with the Donut Man (C'mon, admit you remember those!), these are not Mr. Donut man. They're theologically sound, Biblicaly correct, and Gospel centered. Connie wrote the lyrics and composed the music. My SWEET friend Diane Davis sings and the incredibly talented Jennifer Jackson accompanies on the piano (she plays at the Kennedy Center... seriously. talented).

If you have children and you are working to help them know the love of Christ, and their need for Him, this is amazing (and free) material you may find helps your kids and doesn't drive you crazy. (thanks, Mom, for enduring the Donut Man sing-a-longs). I have worked with kids from 5th grade to kindergarten using this material, and have been amazed at the growth I have seen in the lives of the children in our church. I'm thankful the Lord allows us to see His work in the lives of others- to remind us of our complete dependence on Him- and His amazing mercy in calling us His children.

Enjoy!!

No comments: